Save your responses in a WORD doc, run it through spell check, 250-350 words approximately. Focus on YOUR thoughts and ideas that came to mind when you were reading, the possibilities are endless! Plus, be sure to always end your messages with your first name and last initial.

What is everyone writing about?

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Lives of Others

So I'm not going to lie Alan, when you first told us about this movie, I thought it would be lame. But surprisingly enough, I really really loved the movie. It was so intersesting. It showed some actually realistic history and also had an appealing plot to it. Obviously not based on a true story, it had true element, which I love. I hate those movies that you can tell are totally made up and fake. Even though most of the stuff that was reflected realistically to the separation of Berlin I already knew, I was rather intrigued. Most people don't realize how it was such a hardship. People really were blacklisted to never ever work again with no reason behind it, such as the director Jerska. His most memorable line in the movie being so honest, "If a director cannot direct, what is he?" The truth is that this movie only showed a small effect that this movement had on all of Germany, let alone Eastern Berlin at the time. I didn't really understand why the Stasi were watching Dreyman in the first place. It kind of was not really fair how they began surveillance for no reason and then could use something that they weren't for in the first place, against Dreyman. Overall, I feel like everybody got what they deserved except for, Jerska and that nasty Minister Hempf. I feel like Dreyman deserved to put out the ideas he believed and still be able to use his talent of directing. However, it was so wrong that Wiesler, the Stasi captain, although never proved guilty, was still blacklisted for supposedly being an accomplice. In the end he was recognized for his good, not just punished for his "wrong."

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I thought this movie was going to be a drag as well, but once it got deeper into the story things got a lot more interesting and it was interesting to see how Wiesler developed a sense of compassion for the couple he was spying on. I believe it shakes things up a bit, shows a deeper more meaningful side to a character that was originally portrayed as a bad guy.

    ReplyDelete