Save your responses in a WORD doc, run it through spell check, 250-350 words approximately. Focus on YOUR thoughts and ideas that came to mind when you were reading, the possibilities are endless! Plus, be sure to always end your messages with your first name and last initial.

What is everyone writing about?

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

against school


As I was reading Gatto's “Against School” I was relating a lot with what Gatto was saying about schools. My experience with Oregon public schools was not a good experience. Given the fact that I moved away from the high school I had most of my high school experience at and transferred to a redneck town, Springfield, Oregon my senior year, my high school experience was a lot worse than the average teenager in high school.

“If I was bored it was my own fault and no one else's.” That line really stuck out to me because when I was in my classes, before I realized that school is good and that I need to learn what the teacher is trying to teach the class, I would sit in class super bored and I would text, and draw on my paper, getting low grades, thinking that this schooling was a waste of my time. I had the same experience as Gatto. My mother asked me how my day at school was and I replied “boring” and she told me that it was only boring because I made it boring, and that if I took an interest in what I am being taught then it would be less boring. I took that to heart and started paying attention in class and started getting better grades.

At Springfield High School it was like I was an alien on a different planet. Everyone at that school was brain washed to be a cheerleader or a football player, or to hate anyone that is different or an outsider. Even in the classroom I felt this brain washing vibe from all the teachers/students/administrators. When I signed up for classes they were classes like auto, home economics, and weight lifting/ health. There weren't any real academic classes or if there were I didn't find any or they were kept a secret from me. What I am trying to get at is that the kids at this school were being schooled to have a perfect home, make money, breed, and die. There wasn't any encouragement to stretch farther and be something better than average. At my school in San Diego (University City High School) I was in the Visual Arts and Technology class where we students were challenged to be more than average and not just conform to what is “right” and normal.


-Raven p.

1 comment:

  1. Raven
    You have grappled with the situation of 'the outside situation is less than ideal (it sucks), it's my life, what do I do about it. You're here, hopefully life is different, but the dilemma will recur throughout life (or maybe not...). What are my options, how do I salvage the best of a bad situation or make a drastic move that has its own price? The critical decision is not to be a passive party in your own life. So how do you move the world so as not to stand in your way?
    Alan

    ReplyDelete