Save your responses in a WORD doc, run it through spell check, 250-350 words approximately. Focus on YOUR thoughts and ideas that came to mind when you were reading, the possibilities are endless! Plus, be sure to always end your messages with your first name and last initial.

What is everyone writing about?

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

against school

Gatto’s article was an influential read to myself for many reasons. One reason was that it made me feel like every choice I have made up to now in my life had been made for me. Which wasn’t a very comforting feeling at all, but the more I had thought about it the more I could luckily disagree with the article.

Although I can’t know for sure, I feel safe to assume Gatto’s experience in public education had to be completely different from my own simply because I had an enjoyable time. He described public schooling as a mentally crippling process for ones future in the “real world.” I can definitely agree with that in some areas but who’s to say that teaching something else would make a difference of what the students would absorb. I had a good time in schooling because I let myself have fun and take in what I wanted to learn. People are going to be successful and unsuccessful regardless of their schooling because they will always have a choice to take in whatever they want out of what they’re being taught.


-Corbin B.

1 comment:

  1. "People are going to be successful and unsuccessful regardless of their schooling because they will always have a choice to take in whatever they want"
    What do you mean here? In some ways I could agree, in others, I would have issues. Do we always have a choice? In my experience, whether legitimately or irrevocably or not, schooling does have consequences.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete