Save your responses in a WORD doc, run it through spell check, 250-350 words approximately. Focus on YOUR thoughts and ideas that came to mind when you were reading, the possibilities are endless! Plus, be sure to always end your messages with your first name and last initial.

What is everyone writing about?

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Colombo and Gatto

I thought that the Colombo and Gatto reading were similar based on the theory of thinking critically and managing ourselves. The idea of thinking critically spoke out to me because it made me step back and take a look at how I learn. I realized I was one of the students that just memorized the work to pass the test, and by the time the weekend came I'd forget what I learned. But, with the skill of questioning and applying what you learn to real situations, your overall knowledge expands and allows you to maintain what you learned. Opening our minds and looking past "obvious meanings" creates so much more for us to understand and think about, also allowing us to learn to accept others.
I felt that the differences between the two articles were that the Colombo reading seemed to focus on how cultural myths hold power on us, and how they hold us back from opening our minds. And the Gatto reading focused on the schools, and how they hold us back. I think I enjoyed the Colombo reading a bit more just because the Gatto reading seemed preferential to the idea of schools being meant for "conformity" and "to reduce individuals to the same safe level". He didn't really give another view in the article. Also I felt like the Colombo reading was a bit more encouraging in making us become critical thinkers, whereas the Gatto reading made me feel like we've been stuck in this prison-like system called school. 
Overall, I feel like a got quite a bit out of both readings. The Gatto reading allowed me to see that being bored is all based on me. I need to not waste time, but really focus and make an effort to learn. The Colombo reading made me think about opening my mind wider, and looking at different views instead of just the ones I grew up to believe.

Olivia F.

No comments:

Post a Comment